Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Reading at Poetry Hickory

Karen Holmes, poet and publisher of the Netwest News, and I had a great time at Taste Full Beans in Hickory, NC Tuesday evening. We arrived around five o’clock and parked our bags and our selves at a table near the back. The delicious aroman of flavored coffees permeated the downtown shop. Both of us commented on the extra-ordinary local paintings that covered many of the walls. A nice man behind the counter served a delicious quiche and told us Scott was treating us to dinner.

While we ate, poets and writers strolled in and took seats at the round tables. We knew no one personally, but many of them are on Facebook and on my friends list. Karen, who was one of the invited open mic readers, had not met Scott Owens but she had heard about him from other poets in our area. He facilitates Poetry Hickory and he had visited Hayesville, Murphy and Hiawassee a few months ago.

It was a pleasure to meet Richard Taylor, editor of Kakalak, 2009, Helen Losse, editor for Dead Mule, Jessie Carty, author of Paper House, Nancy Posey, and Anne Hicks who was a featured reader as I was. Anne is the editor of MoonShine Review.


Anne Hicks


Karen Holmes reading


Scott Owens at the podium


Glenda Beall reading at Poetry Hickory

2 comments:

  1. One day I will be at an event like that...
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shen,
    I hope you will have the opportunity to read before an appreciative audience such as the nice people at Poetry Hickory.
    If you set it as a goal, you will do it.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.