Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, November 25, 2013

Indies First Day and recommended book list


Indies First Day
Have you heard about Indies First Day? Read the post below.


What a great idea. Authors working as booksellers in Indie book stores. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

I hope my readers will visit their Independent Book Stores and pick up a book to give this Christmas. You might even find some books for yourself, and you might meet an author who recommends a book by one of her friends. 

Below is a list of books I recommend, some books by authors you might not know. If your Indie book store doesn't carry these books, they can order them for you.

Serena by Ron Rash - excellent page turner; subject of a movie.
Nightwoods - novel by Charles Frazier - has a mean character who is out to get the kids.
"Offering a closer look at the nature of good and evil and how those forces ebb and flow over time.”
                                     —Atlanta Journal Constitution

I'm a Coal Miner's Daughter, But I Cain't Sang- Memoir by Nadine Justice who grew up in coal camps but became a sought after interior designer

Southern Fried Lies by Susan Snowden - a novel set in Atlanta in the fifties. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

How to Beat Chronic Pain, an Insider's Guide by Maren Mitchell. A book that gives hope to pain sufferers and inspires with poetry as well. 

Twelve Notables in Western North Carolina by Jack Prather is an interesting book of biographies about North Carolinians who have made their mark anywhere in the region, state or nation.

Tender Graces, a novel by Kathryn Magendie is told in the voice of a young girl. "Tender Graces gathers us into its story of family loss, connection and redemption," says Kathryn Stripling Byer, former poet laureate of NC.


3 comments:

  1. If I buy a book, not so often lately since I have been using my library for many, I always go to my local indie. Thanks for the recommendations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great idea, writers helping out in independent bookstores. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenda, thanks for including my book in your recommended list. I am honored!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.