Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Friday, October 2, 2015

Stories of Extinction



I receive an email newsletter from City Lights Bookstore with announcements of new  books. This is one I think I'd like and hopefully tons of people will read. While many of us older people think about the past, I think about  the future of this planet and who will care for it.

Paul R. Ehrlich says:There's not the slightest question in anybody's mind of why we're facing an extinction crisis, both of populations and of species, and that's human activities. It's not extinction of humans, it's humans forcing birds and mammals to extinction.The whole idea is to introduce people to what we're losing. The average person on Wall Street has never seen a natural ecosystem or, say, the animals on the plains of Africa, and can't really picture what's going on. 

Paul R. Ehrlich: Stories of Extinction


Paul R. Ehrlich is the Bing Professor of Population Studies and the president of the Center for Conservation Biology at Stanford University

1 comment:

  1. A comment by e-mail:

    Paul Ehrlich is a favorite of mine from way back in grad school when we read "The Population Bomb" in 1970! He advocated people having only 2 children and that overpopulation was our Number One problem of the human species. Notice I had 2 children! When you think about the world's problems, so many can be directly traced to our overpopulation of the Earth! I think he is right on!

    I did not know about his latest book, so thanks for this notice. Endangered species is another one of my prime interests as a biologist!

    Again, thanks cuz,

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.